Monday, April 2, 2012

Japanese Maples

A  container grown Japanese Maple.
Two years since major rootwork on a 3yr cutting. Anderson trays are really good for aeration which is essential for good root development.
This year will start its journey toward bonsai with a summer pruning to establish new buds or shoots for the new leader and branches. For a larger tree there would be less emphasis on building new shoots now. JMs where large cuts have been made are not attractive to me so all branches are only allowed to grow for one or two years at most. The one scar will be where the new leader changes and it will be for direction and will have a branch opposite the leader so the cut will blend into line.


Here it's lightly pruned, washed and ready to get serious with root selection

2 comments:

  1. I know this is a very old post, but I thought I'd let you know I own this tree now. It's developing quite well. Made the last major chop a few weeks ago for the final section of the apex. The last chop healed in one season so I'm hoping for the same on this one. I've purchased a number of trees you and Chris have grown and I've always been happy. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unknown, we need an update...

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete